Hikvison has been gradually becoming the most powerful brand of camera in the world for both reliability and technology. To own this camera, the users have to spend a relatively low money but the efficiency is very high. In fact, there are many users do not know how to use its functions fully.
In this following article, we will mention some noteworthy knowledge about the Hikvision security camera’s password that many users often face.
1.Set up an administrator password of Hikvision Camera
For the first time access to the devices owning the firmware version of v3.3.0 DVR | NVR / IPC 5.3.0 or higher, the users have to activate the device by setting up an admin password. This is an important step. Remember that no any other manipulation is made sooner than the activation. Especially, the users can also activate this device through the web browser, the SADP software and the iVMS-4200 Client.
How to set up a Hikvision Camera admistrator password
Enter the password into the box named “Create New Password” and retype it into the “Confirm New Password” box.
The valid password is a range of 8~16 characters and the users can use a combination of numbers, lowercase, uppercase and special character for the password with at least 2 kinds of them contained.
RECOMMENDATION FOR PASSWORD STRENGTH – The device recommends that the user should create a default and strong password (using at least 8 characters, including uppercase, lowercase, numbers and special characters) to extend the device’s safety. And the user ought to reset the password monthly, weekly or even every 3 days, especially in high-security to protect the camera safer.
Save the password by clicking the OK button, then the device will be activated.
For the old firmware versions, if the user update to a newer version, there will be a warning box that pop up immediately when the device starts. The user can click on the YES button to follow the guiding steps to set up a stronger password.
The function of security lock
If the user enters a wrong password or username once logging in the device via a web browser, he will be informed by a below box:
Remember that the user should not enter wrongly over 5 consecutive times because that will enable the Security Lock function. At that time, the user will be locked to sign in from the IP address of the PC that he has just logged within 30 minutes.
In that case, if the user still keeps to log in, he will get a notification as shown below:
The user does not need to worry so much because this Security Lock function only locks the login from the IP address which has happened the 5 consecutive failing times. The user can log in to the device from other computers with different IP as normal.
How to solve when be locked
- Option 1: It is simple! All the user needs is to switch off the device, go around somewhere to wait for about at least 30 minutes, then open the Hikvison camera and log in it again with the right information.
- Option 2: Change the IP address of computer and access the device with the username/password correctly.
How to turn off the Security Lock function
This feature is often enabled by default on all Hikvision cameras. So, if the user wants to disable it, just follow these following steps:
- Open the iVMS-4200 Client application on the computer which is not locked, then add the Hikvision device to the application by using a username/password correctly.
- After that, choose that device and open the configuration panel by clicking on “Remote Configuration”, then continue to select “System> Login Security” and uncheck the “Access Lock”.
- Restore the Hikvision password
In the case of losing/forgetting the password, the user can recover it by the following steps:
(Note: To do this process, the user has to install the SADP software with the latest version)
- Step 1. Create a folder on the PC where you will export a file with the *.XML format
- Step 2. Use SADP software and choose the camera that you need to restore your password. Remember to click into “Brower” of the Export area.
- Step 3. Choose the path to the folder you just created in step 1 and click the “Choose” button
- Step 4. Now, you need to click the Export button to create a file of “DeviceKey.xml” in the directory and send it to the Hikvision’s technical support team (at firstname.lastname@example.org) with a request for supporting the password recovery.
- Step 5. When the Hikvision’s technical support team receive the file “DeviceKey.xml” (about 1-3 days after you sent the email), they will feedback to you a “Encrypt.xml” file. You need to save that file to the same folder where the file “DeviceKey.xml” is located.
- Step 6: On the next step, you have to select the camera on the SADP software and click the Brower of Import item and choose the path to the file “Encrypt.xml”
- Step 7. It is time to set up a new password in the “New Password” and “Confirm Password” boxes. Then click Import.
Please wait for some minutes to get a notification for a successful password recovery
If you do not receive a successful notification, do not worry because after restarting the camera, you will see it in the inactive status. At that time, you only need to activate the device.
Recover the Hikvision password by a toolkit
Hikvision provides a tool to load the firmware for the camera. Once using this tool, you can also get the device back to the ex-factory status regardless to whether you have a password to log in the device or not.
However, you should be trained by the professional technicians before using this tool. Remember that using the tool to load the firmware incorrectly can cause loss of the device warranty.